Monday, December 28, 2009

Mercia

It is a pity that the English failed to seize the initiative and establish regional government during New Labour's dalliance with constitutional reform.

It is rumoured that Jack Straw was opposed and sabotaged any glimmer of interest. Be that as it may, the English lost the initiative and now may be condemned to administrative localism and centralised governance.

Mercia would have made an excellent regional structure - province - of some 8 million people. The First Minister of Mercia would have been one of the leading political figures in a revitalised UK.

A Mercian Parliament could have sought legislative powers over banking, health, education, industry, welfare and a measure of taxation. It could have built on the region's engineering and manufacturing tradition and prepared better its youth for 21st century employment.

Lord Toby Harris has given much thought to issues of governance. I hope he can convince the next government to revisit constitutional renewal.

2 comments:

  1. Are you a Toby fan? I think a Mercian parliament may just be another layer of government.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in Quebec and Ontario for 16 years and spent a lot of time in Vermont and upper New York State. I became used to living in a Federal system.

    In an odd way 'more' structure is 'less' government. Both in Canada and the States, one 'lives' in Quebec or Vermont. The Fed is distant and remote.

    I would be quite happy to live in a Federal UK, where Westminster had total responsibility for Defence, Foreign Affairs, Justice, Communications and Regional Co-ordination, Transport and Fisheries.

    All other legislation I would leave to the Provincial level. I would even have taxes levied at provincial level with a federal levy sent upwards.

    In 16 years in Canada, I only ever met 3 federal civil servants and 5 provincial civil servants on my personal files. (local govt never heard from). I received no more than 4 letters a year from government - federal tax, federal employment insurance, provincial tax + health insurance and provincial car licensing.

    Tax forms were self assessment, 12 months in advance I estimated next year's earnings. Like most people over estimated and each year got $1000 rebate.

    I hear more in one year from central and local government in UK than in 16 years in Canada!

    ReplyDelete