Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Damp Squib or Pants on fire

Geoff Hoon and Patricia Hewitt may have scuppered a snap March election.

I gather that on 28.01.10, the UK officially exits from recession. It would seem that growth is better than expected, the UK is better placed than France and Germany and UK employment is up and unemployment amongst the lowest in the OECD!

MPs can expect an earful from party members, supporters and constituency activists, this weekend if they haven't already.

One midland agent groaned that the failed Epiphany Putsch would cost 3-4% at the general election and the difference between a Labour or Conservative minority.

He also said that any gains in motivating activists and supporters had been put back several months.

Grassroots Labour hates this kind of Westminster Village navel gazing.

Hoon and Hewitt are like the failed Nigerian plane bomber. All they succeeded in doing was setting their pants on fire.

While David Miliband's insipid late statement merely confirmed himself as the Michael Portillo of New Labour.

Oh well, nose to the grindstone and back to where we were last October.

3 comments:

  1. The more I think about the jokey inception of the Revolutionary Proletariat Movement or Independent Mind the gap party the more I think I would be a better MP asleep than these 646 awake. Even next doors West Highland Terrier has a better and cleaner track record.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In weeks like this, I feel the same. I first campaigned for Labour with my grand-dad in 1955 at the gates of Rolls Royce handing out leaflets. I joined the party at 16, signed up by George Brown. I quit the party in 1999 because of Blair. I am not a member. My grandfather taught me always vote and always campaign. If you don't vote and don't campaign - then shut up and don't complain. Old habits die hard, M. Steed.

    You've never lived until you watch the Avengers dubbed in French. Steed had the accent of un matelot marseillais!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have as Sartre said clean hands, I never joined a party but campaigned for Sinn Fein on the border early 1990s. On returning to England I did the same in Bristol for the Labour party in early 1997 and a epiphany dawned. No names but they can be guessed. A certain MP was helpful with East Timor. He was elected and next day a message of "Thanks for the help but the East Timor issue is closed". He had been told that if he wanted to progress shut up about illegal arms sales to Suharto. As for my vote it must be earned and none of these 'uns can earn it. Finally you havent lived until you have seen "Cagney & Lacey" in Icelandic!

    ReplyDelete